A great, quick, easy summer meal. My only minor complaint is that the chicken wasn't very flavorful which was surprising given the chipotle chile powder. Will try and add some garlic and perhaps more chile powder next time.
Grilled Chicken with Tomato-Avocado Salad
Photo: Johnny Autry; Styling: Cindy Barr and Lindsey Lower
All the fresh flavors of summer come together in Grilled Chicken with Tomato-Avocado Salad. The homemade buttermilk dressing balances the heat of the chicken and completes the meal.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 448
- Fat: 23.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 13.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Protein: 39g
- Carbohydrate: 21.4g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 98mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 618mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 2 ears yellow corn, shucked
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 yellow tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 2 red tomatoes, each cut into 4 slices
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 sliced peeled ripe avocado
- 1. Preheat grill to high heat.
- 2. Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Chill buttermilk mixture until ready to serve.
- 3. Lightly coat chicken with cooking spray. Combine oil, onion powder, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and chipotle; rub evenly over chicken. Coat corn and onion with cooking spray. Arrange chicken, corn, and onion on grill rack; grill 8 minutes or until done, turning chicken and onion once and corn occasionally. Remove from grill; let stand 5 minutes. Cut corn kernels from cobs.
- 4. Slice chicken. Arrange 1 breast on each of 4 plates. Arrange 2 yellow and 2 red tomato slices on each plate. Top each serving with 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes. Divide corn, onion, and avocado evenly among plates. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt over salads. Drizzle about 1 1/2 tablespoons dressing over each salad.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note