- Vegetable oil
- 16 small (4 in.) corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons puréed canned chipotles in adobo*
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (preferably grilled)
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage
- 3/4 cup pico de gallo
- 1/2 cup crumbled queso fresco*
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 firm-ripe avocado, cut into small, thin slices
- 1/4 cup crema*, thinned with a little milk, if needed, so it's pourable
- calories 130
- caloriesfromfat 45 %
- protein 6.3 g
- fat 6.6 g
- satfat 1.4 g
- carbohydrate 12 g
- fiber 1.6 g
- sodium 240 mg
- cholesterol 14 mg
How to Make It
Make tostaditas: Heat 1/4 in. oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook 4 tortillas at a time, turning once or twice, until deep golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to paper towels; set aside.
Spoon 1 tbsp. hot oil into a second large frying pan over medium-high heat. Sauté onion a few minutes until golden, then add garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until garlic starts to brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir in 3/4 cup water, the tomato paste, chipotle purée, and sugar; add chicken. Cook, stirring, until bubbling, about 2 minutes. Stir in more water if needed to make it saucy.
Set tortillas on plates. Top with chicken. Garnish with cabbage, salsa, queso fresco, cilantro, and avocado. Drizzle with crema.
*Find canned chipotle chiles, queso fresco, and crema at Latino markets. Purée contents of chipotle can in a blender; keeps, chilled, up to 1 month.
Note: Nutritional data is per tostadita.