Chicken Tikka Masala
Community Recipe from
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 pound(s) chicken breasts
- 1 cup(s) greek yogurt
- 5 tablespoon(s) vegetable oil
- 8 clove(s) garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon(s) ginger grated
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 serrano chile minced
- 1 tablespoon(s) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon(s) garam masala
- 28 ounce(s) crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon(s) sugar
- 2/3 cup(s) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro chopped
- Garam masala:
- Combine 2 tsp. ground coriander, 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom, 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- For the chicken:
- 1. Combine cumin, coriander, cayenne (1/2 tsp), and salt (1 tsp) in small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with spice mixture, pressing gently so mixture adheres. Place chicken on plate, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. In large bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil (2 Tbsp), garlic (4 cloves), and ginger (2 Tbsp); set aside.
- For the sauce:
- 2. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic (4 cloves), ginger (2 tsp), chile, tomato paste, cayenne (1/4 tsp) and garam masala; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes, sugar, and salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in cream and return to simmer. Remove pan from heat and cover to keep warm.
- 3. While sauce simmers, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position (about 6 inches from heating element) and heat broiler. Using tongs, dip chicken into yogurt mixture (chicken should be coated with thick layer of yogurt) and arrange on wire rack set in foil-lined rimmed baking sheet on broiler pan. Discard excess yogurt mixture. Broil chicken until thickest parts register 160 degrees on instant-read thermometer and exterior is lightly charred in spots, 10 to 18 minutes, flipping chicken halfway through cooking.
- 4. Let chicken rest 5 minutes, then cut into 1-inch chunks and stir into warm sauce (do not simmer chicken in sauce; it may get overcooked). Stir in cilantro, adjust seasoning with salt, and serve with cooked basmati rice.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by phenix and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes
More Recipes for Main Dishes