We enjoyed this tangy dish. Served with whole wheat Israeli couscous. I used boneless skinless thighs and canned artichokes. I cooked the chicken 25 min after adding the water and then another 20 after adding the lemon juice, but I think that was too long. I probably could've stopped after 25 min & added the lemon juice early -- next time I'll check the chicken more closely and stop when it's done. I'm sure the dish would be super fancy with fresh artichokes but I'm just not up for the extra work or the expense.
Chicken Thighs with Lemon, Olives, and Artichokes
This tangy recipe uses both lemon rind and juice. Be sure to zest the lemon before cutting and juicing it.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs, 2/3 cup artichoke mixture, and 1/2 cup couscous)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 429
- Fat: 15.2g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 8.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Protein: 35.4g
- Carbohydrate: 39.6g
- Fiber: 9.2g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 810mg
- Calcium: 104mg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 pounds), skinned
- 7 cups water, divided
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, divided
- 12 baby artichokes
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted
- 6 cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 3 cups hot cooked couscous
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken thighs to pan; sauté 4 minutes on each side or until browned. Add 3 cups water, onion, and next 7 ingredients (through garlic) to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
- 2. Combine remaining 4 cups water and 1/4 cup juice. Cut off stem of each artichoke to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom. Cut each artichoke in half lengthwise; place in lemon water.
- 3. Drain artichokes; pat dry. Add artichokes, remaining 6 tablespoons juice, and rind to chicken mixture. Cover and cook 20 minutes or until artichokes are tender. Remove chicken and artichokes with a slotted spoon.
- 4. Bring liquid to a boil; cook, uncovered, until reduced by half (about 15 minutes). Return chicken and artichokes to pan, and stir in kalamata olives. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired. Serve with couscous.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes