We LOVED this recipe. I doubled the rub/spice mixture because we like HOT, but otherwise followed the recipe as is. The rice was labor intensive, but worth it in the end. Great recipe.
Fiery Chicken Thighs with Persian Rice
Pay close attention to the rice as it cooks over medium-low heat--when you hear it begin to crackle, turn the heat down to low. Continue to cook until the bottom side of the rice develops a golden crust. Serve with 1 pound fresh green beans sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter. Toss with 3 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds and fresh parsley. Although the buttery rice cuts through the heat of the chicken, use less chile paste if you are not a fan of spicy foods.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 439
- Fat: 23.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 10.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.8g
- Protein: 21.1g
- Carbohydrate: 33.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 2.8mg
- Sodium: 547mg
- Calcium: 56mg
- 5 cups water
- 3/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (ground fresh chile paste)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Cooking spray
- 1. Bring 5 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Add rice; boil 10 minutes. Drain. Rinse rice; drain.
- 2. Heat a medium, heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and turmeric; cook 1 minute. Combine rice, onion mixture, and yogurt in a bowl.
- 3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add butter and 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl until butter melts. Add rice mixture to pan, lightly packing rice down. Reduce heat to medium-low. Wrap a clean, dry dish towel around the lid, tying it at the handle; place prepared lid on pan. Cook rice, covered, over medium-low heat 10 minutes (do not stir or uncover). Reduce temperature to low; cook an additional 20 minutes or until rice is tender on top and a golden crust forms on bottom.
- 4. Loosen the rice crust with a rubber spatula around the edges. Place a plate over the top of pan, and invert the rice onto plate, browned side up.
- 5. While rice cooks, preheat broiler to high.
- 6. Combine remaining 1 tablespoon oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cumin, sambal oelek, garlic, and coriander in a small bowl, stirring well. Scrape spice paste into a zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Toss to coat. Let stand 20 minutes. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 7. Place chicken, skin-side up, on a foil-lined broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil 8 minutes or until browned. Turn chicken over; broil an additional 4 minutes or until done. Serve with rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note