Chicken is fine but a simple prep, the arugula pesto really lacked flavor and depth. I was starting to wonder if some ingredient was left out. I won't be making this one again.
Crispy Chicken Thighs with Pasta and Pesto
Photo: Greg Dupree; Styling: Missie Neville Crawford
- 3 1/2 to 4 lb. skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 7 thighs)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cellentani pasta
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Arugula Pesto
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- 2. Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over high heat until oil just begins to smoke.
- 3. Place chicken in skillet, skin sides down; reduce heat to medium-high, and cook 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate; discard drippings.
- 4. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Toss with chicken broth and 3 Tbsp. Arugula Pesto. Add pasta mixture to skillet. Place chicken, skin sides up, on pasta.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes. Dollop with additional Arugula Pesto.
- Olives & Caperberries: Omit pasta, broth, and pesto. Prepare as directed through Step 3. Cut 1 lemon into 1/4-inch-thick rounds. Stir together 1 cup pitted large Spanish olives, 1 cup large caperberries with stems, 1/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds, and 1/4 cup dry white wine in skillet; add lemon slices. Place chicken, skin sides up, in skillet. Bake as directed. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Poblanos & Onions: Omit pasta, chicken broth, and pesto. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Place 3 large poblano peppers, seeded and chopped, and 1/2 large white onion, chopped, in skillet. Place chicken, skin sides up, in skillet. Bake as directed. Remove from oven, and top with 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro and 1/4 cup crumbled queso blanco.
- Potatoes & Rosemary: Omit pasta, chicken broth, and pesto. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 3. Place 2 lb. small fingerling potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick pieces, in a single layer in skillet, and sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary and 1/4 tsp. salt. Place chicken, skin sides up, in skillet, and sprinkle with 1/4 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary. Bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note