I thought this was a beautiful, rustic meal. The flavors went very well with the dark meat of the thighs. Although I don't like dark meat much, so next time I think I will add a breast in there for myself. My husband loved this. The only thing I would change is to use fresh garlic. I also could only find frozen pearl onions (they were small) so I added about 2 times as much as the recipe called for.
Chicken Thighs Braised in Port-Balsamic Sauce
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 302
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 838mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 2 teaspoons instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 chicken thighs (about 2 pounds), skinned
- 4 1/2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 16 pearl onions, peeled (about 5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup port or other sweet red wine
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 1/2 cups cubed Yukon gold or red potatoes (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- To prepare rub, combine onion through pepper in a small bowl.
- To prepare chicken, sprinkle chicken thighs evenly with 1 tablespoon rub mixture. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Add 1 teaspoon oil and onions; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in wine, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth, vinegar, and salt; bring to a boil. Return chicken to pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon rub mixture, the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and potatoes; toss to coat. Place potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes or until tender; toss with parsley. Serve chicken with potatoes and sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This