- 1 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) broiler-fryer
- 2 celery stalks, cut into large pieces
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 quart water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12-ounce) package thin spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Combine chicken, celery, onion, salt, and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Remove chicken from bones; chop meat, and set aside. Strain broth; discard vegetables. Refrigerate broth until all fat has risen to the top; skim off fat, and set aside. Reserve remaining broth.
- Melt 3 tablespoons reserved fat in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups of reserved broth; set remaining broth aside. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Combine egg yolks and cream; stir well. Gradually stir about one-fourth of hot mixture into egg mixture; stir into remaining hot mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Sauté mushrooms in remaining fat 2 minutes. Add sautéed mushrooms, salt, and chicken to cream sauce; stir well.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions in remaining broth plus enough water to equal 3 quarts liquid.
- Drain spaghetti, and place in a 10-inch pie plate. Spoon chicken mixture over top; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, and dot with butter. Broil 6 inches from heat 5 minutes or just until cheese is lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This