Made this tonight! Super easy and so good. Didn't have red peppers, so I threw in some chili powder also added some chopped onion to the corn bread mix and the chicken while it cooked. Will male this again for sure!
Chicken Tamale Casserole
This Chicken Tamale casserole is a quick and easy swap for more traditional tamales - but just as delicious!
"I came up with this Mexican dish to satisfy my cravings for the tamales I had at Mexican restaurants when I was growing up in Houston. Homemade tamale recipes are too time-consuming to prepare for weeknight meals, but I discovered a corn bread mix approximates the flavor." —Risë Minton, Smyrna, GA
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 354
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 14.1g
- Saturated fat: 7.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 18.9g
- Carbohydrate: 36.3g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 58mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- Calcium: 179mg
- 1 cup (4 ounces) preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (such as Martha White)
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (such as Old El Paso)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 1/4 cup cheese and next 7 ingredients (through chiles) in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pierce entire surface liberally with a fork; pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with chicken; sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with 1 tablespoon sour cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This