- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 2 fresh cilantro sprigs
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1/2 cup pitted Moroccan purple or kalamata olives
- 2 to 4 wedges Preserved Lemons, cut into thin strips
How to Make It
Combine first 3 ingredients. Sprinkle evenly on chicken; cover and chill until ready to cook.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large tagine or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Brown chicken, in 2 batches, adding more oil if necessary. Return all chicken pieces to tagine, and top with onion and next 5 ingredients.
Combine saffron and 3/4 cup water; pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 30 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring halfway through cooking time.
Stir in olives and Preserved Lemons; cook 5 minutes or until heated. Serve with hot cooked couscous, if desired.