Wonderful soup! The lime squeezed in finish is a must, adds great acid. No issues with the jalapeños, roasted them for 30 minutes in oven.
Chicken and Sweet Potato Soup with Chile and Lime
Charles E. Walton IV
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced (3 cups)
- 4 celery ribs, diced (1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, roasted, or 2 teaspoons chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 1 pound or 3 cups)
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 1 pound boneless chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Garnishes: Crispy Tortilla Strips, avocado slices
- 1. Heat oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until tender and almost caramelized. Add celery, and cook, stirring often, 10 more minutes. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds, being careful not to brown garlic.
- 2. Add peppers and next 4 ingredients, and cook, stirring, about 2 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, broth, and bay leaves; bring soup to a low boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for about 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Stir in chicken, and cook 2 more minutes. Skim any foam from the top of the soup while cooking, and discard. Remove bay leaves, and discard. Divide soup evenly among individual bowls, and top with cilantro and lime wedges. Serve immediately. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews