Chicken and Sweet Potato Dumplings
Start with a whole chicken to create a flavorful, refined broth.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 1 (3 3/4-lb.) whole chicken
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- Sweet Potato Dumplings
- Shaved Parmesan cheese
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1. Bring chicken, next 7 ingredients, and water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour.
- 2. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cool chicken 30 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, cook reserved broth in Dutch oven over low heat 30 minutes.
- 4. Skin, bone, and shred chicken, reserving bones. Place bones in broth. Cover and chill shredded chicken until ready to use.
- 5. Continue cooking broth, uncovered, over low heat 1 hour or until reduced by one-third. Pour broth through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard solids. Wipe Dutch oven clean; pour broth back into Dutch oven.
- 6. Skim fat from broth. Add thinly sliced onion and next 2 ingredients to broth; cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes or until carrots are crisp-tender. Add shredded chicken; return to a simmer.
- 7. Add Sweet Potato Dumplings to soup. Garnish with Parmesan and parsley; serve immediately.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes