Great recipe! Lends itself to many variations: spinach with kale or broccoli rabe, variety of cheeses, nuts, seasonings (herbs, spices, & aromatics), sun-dried tomatoes, capers, artichokes, etc. I sauté my greens with a little onion & garlic, s & p. Then I continue with step 3. Use some lemon zest along with the juice. Crushed red pepper flakes add zing. Be sure to toast the pine nuts first. For the poster - Btw, pine nuts (plant) have no bad cholesterol, only good. It actually decreases bad cholesterol. They are high in kcal. The cholesterol listed is from the cheese and chicken (animal products).
Chicken Stuffed with Spinach, Feta, and Pine Nuts
This chicken recipe is filled with Mediterranean flavors and pairs well with couscous. Use mozzarella or provolone for a milder kid's dish.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 297
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 43.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.4g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 493mg
- Calcium: 131mg
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add spinach to pan; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts, tossing constantly. Place spinach in a colander; press until barely moist. Wipe pan clean.
- 3. Combine spinach, cheese, nuts, thyme, juice, and garlic. Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 3 tablespoons filling into each pocket. Seal with wooden picks. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- 4. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until brown. Add broth, and cover pan. Place pan in oven. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note