Chicken and Strawberry Salad
A salad with strawberries that Erin Smith's mother enjoyed in a restaurant made such an impression that she frequently described it with flavorful details. Laden with clues, Smith concocted her own version as the surprise for a Mother's Day picnic. She was right on, and the salad was a hit.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 402
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 42g
- Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Carbohydrate: 20g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Sodium: 369mg
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 4 boned, skinned chicken breast halves (6 oz. each)
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh or 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat or regular mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 3 quarts (about 9 oz.) salad mix, rinsed and crisped
- 2 cups strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1. Stir almonds just until golden in a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat, about 4 minutes. Pour out of pan.
- 2. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Mix tarragon, garlic, and oil. Rub all over chicken to coat.
- 3. Set frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add chicken and cook, turning once, until meat is white in center of thickest part (cut to test), 8 to 10 minutes total. Remove from pan. Use warm or let cool.
- 4. To make the salad dressing, mix mayonnaise with lemon juice, sugar, and poppy seed.
- 5. Combine salad mix with strawberries and half the dressing. Mound salad equally on dinner plates and set chicken alongside or on top.
- 6. Drizzle chicken with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with toasted almonds. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note