The vinegar lends a kick to the stock, but it may be omitted, if desired. A 3 1/2-pound chicken will yield about 4 cups of cooked chicken.
Yield: 6 cups stock (serving size: 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 35
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Fat: 1.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 5.4g
- Carbohydrate: 0.1g
- Fiber: 0.0g
- Cholesterol: 16mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 405mg
- Calcium: 3mg
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) chicken (broiler-fryer)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 parsley sprigs
- 6 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 carrots, cut into 2-inch-thick pieces
- 1 medium onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar (optional)
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large Dutch oven; add water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 40 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from cooking liquid; cool. Remove meat from bones, and reserve for use in the following recipes. Return bones to cooking liquid; stir in vinegar, if desired. Partially cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Strain the stock through a sieve into a large bowl, and discard the solids. Cover and chill the stock for 8 hours. Skim the solidified fat from the surface of the stock, and discard.
- Note: Reserved meat from chicken will keep 3 days in an airtight container in refrigerator or 3 months in freezer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note