- 1 (5-pound) stewing hen, cut up
- 3 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried whole oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 (17-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 3 cups diced potato
- 6 stalks celery, sliced
- 6 medium carrots, scraped and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup water
How to Make It
Combine chicken, water, onion, salt, pepper, oregano, and sage in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth; cool. Bone chicken, and cut meat into bite-size pieces; discard bones, and set meat aside.
Add chicken, corn, potatoes, celery, and carrots to broth; simmer, uncovered, 1 1/2 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Combine flour and water, stirring until smooth. Add flour mixture to stew; cook, stirring frequently, until stew is thickened. Serve immediately in individual bowls.