This is tasty, my husband loved it, my little kids didn't, I liked it. If you use all the squash and zucchini there is a lot of liquid--my son thought it was soup. It isn't pretty but smells wonderful. I think you should toast the breadcrumbs for best effect. It filled up my 7 quart slowcooker to the top, and it makes a ton of food. It serves more than six.
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Heather Chadduck
Yield: Makes 6 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
- 1 pound zucchini, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-oz.) container sour cream
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups soft, fresh breadcrumbs
- 3 cups (12 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 oz.) shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Place first 3 ingredients in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, folding back a small edge to allow steam to escape. Microwave at HIGH 8 minutes or until squash is tender; drain. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 2. Drain tomatoes well, pressing between paper towels. Stir together tomatoes, chicken, and next 4 ingredients. Layer one-third each soup mixture, squash mixture, breadcrumbs, and Cheddar cheese in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Repeat layers twice. Top with Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 hours or until bubbly and edges are golden. Uncover and cook on HIGH 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This