Chicken Spaghetti II
The original recipe for this comforting one-pot dish from River Road Recipes called for "boiling a hen in seasoned water." We've adapted it for today's cooks.
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 10 Minutes
- 1 (3-lb.) whole chicken
- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can tomato soup
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (16-oz.) package spaghetti, cooked
- 1. If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use.
- 2. Sauté Spanish onions and next 4 ingredients in hot drippings in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup water, and chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, reserving tomato mixture in Dutch oven. Cool chicken 20 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, simmer reserved tomato mixture, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
- 4. Skin, bone, and shred chicken; stir into tomato mixture. Stir in parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over spaghetti.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note