- 1 (3-lb.) whole chicken
- 2 large Spanish onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10 3/4-oz.) can tomato soup
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 (16-oz.) package spaghetti, cooked
How to Make It
If applicable, remove giblets from chicken, and reserve for another use.
Sauté Spanish onions and next 4 ingredients in hot drippings in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, next 5 ingredients, 1 cup water, and chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is done. Remove chicken, reserving tomato mixture in Dutch oven. Cool chicken 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, simmer reserved tomato mixture, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes.
Skin, bone, and shred chicken; stir into tomato mixture. Stir in parsley. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve over spaghetti.