Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce
Tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and crisp cucumber. Let toddlers dip halved cucumber slices, chunks of tomato, or whole-wheat pita bread into extra tzatziki. Serve this dish with whole-wheat or flavored couscous.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 213
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Protein: 29.3g
- Carbohydrate: 9.3g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 67mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 831mg
- Calcium: 95mg
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup peeled, shredded, seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- 1. To prepare souvlaki, combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken to bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning bag once.
- 2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 3. While chicken marinates, combine cucumber and next 4 ingredients, stirring well.
- 4. To prepare skewers, remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Thread chicken and zucchini alternately onto each of 4 (8-inch) skewers.
- 5. Place skewers on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.
- 6. Serve tzatziki sauce with chicken skewers.
- for your toddler: Remove 1 to 2 chicken and zucchini pieces from the skewers. Cut the chicken and zucchini into bite-sized pieces. Serve the chicken and zucchini with a small spoonful of tzatziki sauce for dipping on a rimmed plate.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note