This review is actually for everything but the tahini sauce, because I could not justify buying a whole jar of tahini when I only needed a little bit...and all the reviews about it being too garlicky did kind of scare me. That being said, however, this is a mighty tasty sandwich. As opposed to the tahini-yogurt sauce, I did make it with a homemade tzatziki with a little chopped fresh mint, which was the perfect compliment to the lemony chicken and delicious veggies. DH & I loved it, and ate leftovers for lunch for the next couple of days.
Chicken Souvlaki Pitas with Tahini Sauce
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 37.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 6 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cucumber
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices cucumber
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices plum tomato
- 1. Combine yogurt, shredded cucumber, tahini, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, olive oil, and next 4 ingredients (through chicken) in a small bowl. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces evenly onto 4 (8-inch) skewers. Coat grill pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 10 minutes or until done, turning every 2 minutes. Remove chicken from skewers.
- 3. Divide chicken evenly among pita halves. Fill each pita half with 2 tablespoons lettuce, 1 tablespoon onion, 2 cucumber slices, 2 tomato slices, and 1 tablespoon sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note