This review is actually for everything but the tahini sauce, because I could not justify buying a whole jar of tahini when I only needed a little bit...and all the reviews about it being too garlicky did kind of scare me. That being said, however, this is a mighty tasty sandwich. As opposed to the tahini-yogurt sauce, I did make it with a homemade tzatziki with a little chopped fresh mint, which was the perfect compliment to the lemony chicken and delicious veggies. DH & I loved it, and ate leftovers for lunch for the next couple of days.
Chicken Souvlaki Pitas with Tahini Sauce
If you can't find tahini, substitute an equal amount of peanut butter to make the sauce for these Middle East–inspired sandwiches. You can prepare the sauce and chicken ahead of time and stuff the pitas when you're ready to eat.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 25 Minutes
- Calories: 390
- Fat: 8g
- Saturated fat: 1.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 37.3g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 2.9g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 398mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 6 tablespoons plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons shredded cucumber
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)
- 5 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas, cut in half
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices cucumber
- 16 (1/4-inch-thick) slices plum tomato
- 1. Combine yogurt, shredded cucumber, tahini, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and garlic in a small bowl; set aside.
- 2. Combine remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice, olive oil, and next 4 ingredients (through chicken) in a small bowl. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Thread chicken pieces evenly onto 4 (8-inch) skewers. Coat grill pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan; cook 10 minutes or until done, turning every 2 minutes. Remove chicken from skewers.
- 3. Divide chicken evenly among pita halves. Fill each pita half with 2 tablespoons lettuce, 1 tablespoon onion, 2 cucumber slices, 2 tomato slices, and 1 tablespoon sauce.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note