Chicken Soup with Spaetzle
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- * 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut into pieces
- * 2 tablespoons canola oil
- * 8 cups Progresso Chicken Broth
- * 2 bay leaves
- * 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- * 1 cup sliced carrots
- * 1 cup sliced celery
- * 3/4 cup chopped onion
- * 1 garlic clove, minced
- * 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- * 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- * 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- * 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- * 1/8 teaspoon salt
- * 1 egg, lightly beaten
- * 1/4 cup water
- * 1/4 cup milk
- * In a large kettle or Dutch oven, brown chicken pieces in oil. Add the broth, bay leaves, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil; skim foam. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones; discard bones and skin and cut chicken into bite size pieces. Cool broth and skim off fat.
- * Return chicken to broth along with the carrots, celery, onion, garlic and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35 minutes. Add mushrooms and simmer 8-10 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves.
- * In a small bowl, combine first three spaetzle ingredients. Stir in the egg, water and milk; blend well. Drop batter by 1/2 teaspoonfuls into simmering soup. Cook for 10 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings (2 1/2 quarts).
- Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 206 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 829 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
- Chicken Soup with Spaetzle published in Taste of Home February/March 1994, p41
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Melissa123 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken Soup with Spaetzle Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Soups/Stews