- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- About 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breasts, cut into 1-in. chunks
- 1 1/2 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Finely shredded zest of 1 lemon, plus about 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into 3/4-in. cubes
- 4 ounces baby spinach
- Kosher salt
- calories 338
- caloriesfromfat 37 %
- protein 37 g
- fat 14 g
- satfat 1.8 g
- carbohydrate 16 g
- fiber 3.7 g
- sodium 514 mg
- cholesterol 66 mg
How to Make It
Toast saffron in a 5- to 6-qt. pan over medium heat until fragrant, about 4 minutes; scrape out of pan and set aside. Add almonds and 1 tbsp. oil to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 4 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer nuts to a bowl.
Add remaining tbsp. oil to pan with chicken and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until chicken is brown on underside, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink, about 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl.
Add broth, lemon zest, pepper, saffron, and potatoes to pan. Cover and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Return chicken mixture to pan and simmer, covered, until flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, 1 to 2 minutes. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Ladle into bowls, drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with almonds.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per 1 1/2-cup serving.