Comfort food that is so easy to make! This is the first thing my son asks for when he comes home from a break from school. I cut the biscuits in 1/8s and use the whole can because my kids love the dumplings.
Chicken Soup with Buttermilk Dumplings
Prepare this childhood favorite in a third of the time your mom's recipe takes--with equal success. Refrigerator biscuits make great ready-made dumplings. The trick is to coat them lightly in flour and then cook in gently simmering broth without overstirring. Prep: 15 minutes; Cook: 30 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 7 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 3 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (10.2-ounce) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 large biscuits)
- All-purpose flour, for dusting the biscuits
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives or parsley
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Cook chicken thighs 6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. (Chicken may not completely cook through but will finish cooking when returned to broth.) Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cut into bite-size pieces, and set aside.
- 2. Melt butter in pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrot, and sauté 3 minutes. Stir in broth and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- 3. Whisk together cream and cornstarch in a small bowl; stir into simmering broth.
- 4. Cut each biscuit into quarters, and dredge pieces in flour, shaking off excess. Add biscuits to broth, and cook, partially covered, 3 minutes on each side or until biscuits are firm to the touch. (Biscuits will continue to cook.)
- 5. Add chicken, lemon juice, and chives to broth; simmer until chicken is heated through. Season with additional sea salt and pepper, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This