Chicken soup loaded with veggies
- 4 quart(s) water
- 1 whole(s) large chicken cut up
- 2 whole(s) onions unpeeled
- 4 whole(s) parsnips peeled and left whole
- .5 cup(s) celery celery and leaves
- 1 whole(s) rutabaga peeled and quartered
- 1 whole(s) large turnip peeled and quartered
- 1 whole(s) Kohlrabi quartered
- 6 whole(s) Carrots peeled and left whole
- 6 tablespoon(s) parsley chopped
- 6 tablespoon(s) dill snipped
- .25 teaspoon(s) pepper
- 1 whole(s) zucchini
- 1. Put the water and the chicken in a large pot and bring the water to a boil. Skim off the froth.
- 2. Add the marrow bones, onions, parsnips, celery, 3/4 of the rutabaga, turnip, kohlrabi, 4 of the carrots, the parsley, 4 tablespoons of the dill, and the salt and pepper. Cover and simmer of 2 1/2 hours, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- 3. Strain, remove the chicken, discard the vegetables and refrigerate the liquid to solidify. Remove the skin and bones from the chicken and cut the meat into bite-size chunks. Refrigerate. Remove the fat from the soup.
- 4. Just before serving, reheat the soup. Bring to a boil. Cut the zucchini and the remaining 2 carrots into thin strips and add to the soup along with the remaining rutabaga cut into thin strips as well as a few pieces of chicken. Simmer about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked, but still firm. Serve with the remaining snipped dill. You can also add noodles, marrow, or clos (matzah) balls.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Shadowabyss191 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note