Great soup. Made without sausage because I didn't have any. I would definitely make this again. Very filling.
Chicken Soup with Cabbage and Apple
Chicken Soup with Cabbage and Apple is the definition of hearty in a bowl. Earthy green cabbage mingles with moist shredded chicken, chicken sausage, and broth-soaked potatoes. Tart, crunchy apple slices add a fruity counterpoint to this German-inspired soup.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 39 Minutes
- Calories: 328
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 33.2g
- Fiber: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 85mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 369mg
- Calcium: 94mg
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces chicken apple sausage, sliced
- 5 cups Chicken Stock or fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces chopped Yukon gold potato
- 3 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups sliced Granny Smith apple
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add caraway and fennel; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Place in a spice or coffee grinder; process until ground.
- 2. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook 6 minutes. Add sausage; cook 1 minute. Add ground spices; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add Chicken Stock and potato; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add cabbage and remaining ingredients; cook 3 minutes.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This