Very easy to make. I used a Gala apple because that's what's growing on my trees. Very delicious. Because some people commented on the bland color, I add a little orange pepper and a deseeded jalapeno pepper. They made it more colorful but they were unnecessary.
Chicken Soft Tacos with Sautéed Onions and Apples
Photography: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Fonda Shaia
In this recipe, a savory-sweet taco filling is encased in warm flour tortillas.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 tacos)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 454
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 12.6g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 32.9g
- Carbohydrate: 51.5g
- Fiber: 4.8g
- Cholesterol: 73mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 705mg
- Calcium: 116mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 2 apples)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add chicken to pan; sauté 7 minutes or until golden. Remove the chicken from pan; keep warm.
- Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add apple; cook 6 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently.
- Heat tortillas according to package directions. Arrange 1/2 cup chicken mixture evenly over each tortilla.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note