Chicken Soft Tacos with Black Eyed Peas
Prep: 10 minutes; Cook: 55 minutes. Make this low-fat, fiber-packed meal from Chef Jesse Frost on busy weeknights or anytime you want an easy, flavorful meal.
Yield: Makes 5 servings (serving size: 1 taco)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 50g
- Fiber: 10g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Iron: 4mg
- Sodium: 331mg
- Calcium: 120mg
- 1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 10 ounce skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 10 cup shredded romaine lettuce (about 8 ounces)
- 3 chopped tomatoes (about 14 ounces)
- 1 chopped red onion (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) shredded Cotija cheese or low-fat mozzarella
- 1. Place peas or beans in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until beans are tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly, retaining cooking liquid.
- 2. Place bean mixture in a blender; pulse until beans are crushed but not pureed. Stir in cumin and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
- 3. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 4. Place chicken breasts in a heatproof skillet. Drizzle lemon juice and broth over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining oregano. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cool slightly; cut into thin strips or shred by hand.
- 5. Turn oven down to 200°. Wrap tortillas with foil and place on baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes, or until warm and steamy.
- 6. Assemble tacos: Spread each tortilla with black eyed pea puree, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and diced onion. Add strips of chicken, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note