- 1 (16-ounce) can black-eyed peas or black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/8 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, divided
- 10 ounce skinless boneless chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 5 whole wheat tortillas
- 10 cup shredded romaine lettuce (about 8 ounces)
- 3 chopped tomatoes (about 14 ounces)
- 1 chopped red onion (about 4 ounces)
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) shredded Cotija cheese or low-fat mozzarella
- calories 293
- fat 4 g
- satfat 2 g
- monofat 1 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 24 g
- carbohydrate 50 g
- fiber 10 g
- cholesterol 37 mg
- iron 4 mg
- sodium 331 mg
- calcium 120 mg
How to Make It
Place peas or beans in a medium saucepan with 3 cups of water and chili flakes; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until beans are tender. Remove from heat, and cool slightly, retaining cooking liquid.
Place bean mixture in a blender; pulse until beans are crushed but not pureed. Stir in cumin and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Transfer to bowl and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place chicken breasts in a heatproof skillet. Drizzle lemon juice and broth over chicken. Sprinkle with remaining oregano. Cover pan and bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until juices run clear. Cool slightly; cut into thin strips or shred by hand.
Turn oven down to 200°. Wrap tortillas with foil and place on baking sheet; bake for 15 minutes, or until warm and steamy.
Assemble tacos: Spread each tortilla with black eyed pea puree, shredded lettuce, diced tomato, and diced onion. Add strips of chicken, sprinkle with cheese, and serve.