What a surprise these turned out to be! I read all of the great reviews so I gave it a whirl, but wasn't actually expecting much. I was delighted to find that a simple, easy recipes turned out to be wonderful. Even my extremely picky husband was chowing down and going back for seconds. I made this with brown rice and some garlic green beans and it was a fantastic meal. I didn't even have to marinate the chicken for the full time. I left them in for about 5 minutes and basted them with the reduced sauce per the recipe. Delicious! And do boil down the marinade. It's amazing and absolutely wonderful drizzled over the cooked chicken with a little extra drizzled over the rice. I can't wait to make it again.
Chicken Skewers with Soy-Mirin Marinade
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Leigh Ann Ross
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 463
- Calories from fat: 17%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 44.9g
- Carbohydrate: 44.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 814mg
- Calcium: 46mg
- 1/3 cup mirin (sweet rice wine)
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut lengthwise into 1-inch strips
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 8 pieces
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add chicken to bowl, and toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, turning chicken occasionally.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove chicken from bag, reserving marinade. Place marinade in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Thread chicken and bell peppers on 8 (12-inch) wooden skewers. Brush skewers with marinade. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 4 minutes on each side or until done, brushing occasionally with remaining marinade. Remove from grill; sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This