Chicken Skewers with Fava Bean and Mint Salad
Dress up basic grilled chicken skewers by serving with a minted fava bean salad. Plate with a side of fluffy couscous.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2 skewers and 1/3 cup fava bean mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 447
- Fat: 13.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 7.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 43.3g
- Carbohydrate: 52.4g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 5.3mg
- Sodium: 416mg
- Calcium: 121mg
- 2 cups shelled fava beans (about 4 pounds unshelled)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into (1-inch) pieces
- Cooking spray
- 6 lemon wedges (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- 1. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. Cook fava beans in boiling water for 1 minute or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins.
- 3. Combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, juice, chopped mint, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add fava beans to oil mixture; toss to coat.
- 4. Thread chicken evenly onto 12 (8-inch) skewers. Brush chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until done, turning once. Serve with fava bean mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs, if desired.
- Wine note: I love to mirror the flavors of the fava beans, mint, lemon juice, and lemon rind in this dish with a wine that's crisp and has green flavors of its own. A New Zealand sauvignon blanc is just the ticket. Try Babich 2007 from Marlborough, New Zealand, about $14. —Karen MacNeil
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This