- 2 cups shelled fava beans (about 4 pounds unshelled)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 3/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into (1-inch) pieces
- Cooking spray
- 6 lemon wedges (optional)
- Fresh mint sprigs (optional)
- calories 447
- fat 13.8 g
- satfat 2.3 g
- monofat 7.8 g
- polyfat 2.8 g
- protein 43.3 g
- carbohydrate 52.4 g
- fiber 0.1 g
- cholesterol 55 mg
- iron 5.3 mg
- sodium 416 mg
- calcium 121 mg
How to Make It
Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
Cook fava beans in boiling water for 1 minute or until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain. Remove tough outer skins from beans; discard skins.
Combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, juice, chopped mint, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a medium bowl. Add fava beans to oil mixture; toss to coat.
Thread chicken evenly onto 12 (8-inch) skewers. Brush chicken with remaining 1 tablespoon oil; sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place skewers on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 8 minutes or until done, turning once. Serve with fava bean mixture. Garnish with lemon wedges and mint sprigs, if desired.
Wine note: I love to mirror the flavors of the fava beans, mint, lemon juice, and lemon rind in this dish with a wine that's crisp and has green flavors of its own. A New Zealand sauvignon blanc is just the ticket. Try Babich 2007 from Marlborough, New Zealand, about $ —Karen MacNeil