The entire family enjoyed it. But will add a little more salt next time.
Chicken and Shrimp Paella
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 433
- Calories from fat: 15%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 1.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 34.8g
- Carbohydrate: 52.8g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 156mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 787mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 6 chicken thighs (about 1 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 (4-ounce) link hot turkey Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Arborio or Valencia rice
- 1/2 cup diced plum tomato
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup (1-inch) diagonally cut asparagus
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Sprinkle chicken with rosemary, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
- Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to pan; cook 1 minute, stirring to crumble. Add onion and bell pepper; cook 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Add rice, tomato, paprika, saffron, and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return chicken to pan. Add broth and 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Wrap handle of pan with foil; cover pan. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Stir in shrimp, asparagus, and peas. Cover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp are done.
Saffron, the exotic spice with a distinct, earthy flavor, gives this Spanish dish its characteristic yellow hue. It's a bit soupy when first prepared but quickly absorbs the liquid.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This