I love this type of asian dumplings and after reading reviews, I had high hopes. Unfortunatley for me these where a bust. I used a low sodium soy sauce and they still seemed more salty than flavorful. The texture was rubbery and not sure what happend but, all but 1 of my dumplings came apart after simmering. Won't be attempting these again.
Chicken and Shrimp Dumplings in Green Onion-Shiitake Broth
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
One large dumpling per diner tastes just as good as many smaller ones, but it's faster to make and looks more dramatic.
Yield: Serves 4
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 323
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 33g
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 22g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sodium: 1143mg
- Cholesterol: 175mg
- 1 1/2 qts. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 pound shelled, deveined shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 pound ground chicken
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced, tops and bottoms divided
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha chili sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 square egg roll wrappers (6 in. wide)
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1. Combine broth and soy sauce in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to barely a simmer.
- 2. Mix shrimp, chicken, onion bottoms, garlic, 1 tsp. sesame oil, the ginger, Sriracha, salt, and pepper in a bowl. Arrange egg roll wrappers on a work surface. Shape chicken-shrimp filling into 4 balls and put 1 ball on the center of each wrapper. Moisten wrapper edges with water and pull up all 4 corners of each wrapper to meet in the center. Working from center down, pinch edges together to seal tightly, forming 4-sided pyramids.
- 3. Lower dumplings gently into broth, cover, and simmer until cooked through, about 8 minutes. In last 2 minutes of cooking, add shiitakes. Spoon each dumpling into a bowl and ladle broth on top. Sprinkle with onion tops and remaining 1 tsp. sesame oil.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note