Delicious! I love that I can make this outside for a summer meal. Even if, as it happened for me, it starts to rain when you're grilling! I used greek flatbreads and also served it on aluminum foil because it was a bit messy. I subbed spinach instead of lettuce in a pinch and it was a fast, relatively easy meal. Though the initial reason we tried shawarma was because of Tony Stark in "The Avengers", we'll be keeping this in regular rotation for our meals ;)
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 384
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 9.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 34.4g
- Carbohydrate: 40g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 64mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 821mg
- Calcium: 106mg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons extravirgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 16 (3-inch) strips
- 1/2 cup plain 2% reduced-fat Greek yogurt (such as Fage)
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Remaining ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 4 (6-inch) pitas
- 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 8 (1/4-inch-thick) tomato slices
- 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- 2. To prepare chicken, combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss well to coat. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes.
- 3. To prepare sauce, combine yogurt and next 4 ingredients (through 1 garlic clove), stirring with a whisk.
- 4. Thread 2 chicken strips onto each of 8 (12-inch) skewers. Place kebabs on a grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.
- 5. Place pitas on grill rack; grill 1 minute on each side or until lightly toasted. Place 1 pita on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1/4 cup lettuce and 2 tomato slices. Top each serving with 4 chicken pieces; drizzle each serving with 2 tablespoons sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note