Quick Chicken-Sesame Rice Balls
Rice balls (onigiri) are a classic Japanese bento box dish. You can decorate them with nori to make pandas, kittens, rabbits, or your kids' favorite characters. For even more fun, cut the kiwi slices with a cookie cutter.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 20 Minutes
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 2.2g
- Saturated fat: 0.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 11.4g
- Carbohydrate: 35.2g
- Fiber: 0.3g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 435mg
- Calcium: 9mg
- 1 (7.4-ounce) package precooked sticky rice (such as Annie Chun's)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion tops
- 1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 ounces skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, finely shredded
- Nori sheets for decoration (optional)
- 1. Heat rice according to package directions; spread on a plate. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons vinegar, sugar, and salt; cool completely.
- 2. Combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon vinegar, onions, soy sauce, oil, and chicken in a small bowl.
- 3. Arrange 4 (6-inch) squares of plastic wrap on a work surface. Divide rice mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a ball. Lightly press each rice ball into a disc between palms; place 1 disc on each plastic wrap square. Make an indentation in each. Top each indentation with one-fourth of chicken mixture. Working with one rice ball at a time, lightly press the rice over the filling. Gather up ends of plastic wrap, and twist tightly to form a ball. Gently remove plastic wrap; decorate with nori, if desired.
- THE BUDDY BENTO For the little kid who is easily distracted by human lunch buddies, this box offers fun, nutritious food to hold his interest. Make Our Recipe: Quick Chicken-Sesame Rice Balls Then add… 2 tablespoons edamame hummus 1/2 cup steamed sugar snap peas, chilled 1/4 cup seedless red grapes, halved 2 peeled kiwifruit, sliced and cut into shapes 2 fortune cookies Serves 2 Each lunch has 347 calories, 6.8g fat (0.9g sat fat), 14.5g protein, 58.2g carbs, 3.9g fiber, and 484mg sodium.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note