I should've paid more attention to the reviews and the recipe itself before making it. Garlic would have been a great addition and although the chicken is a little bland it's fixable. Also I served it with a sherried mushroom topping so that really helped. Definitely add more seasoning to the chicken.
Chicken Scaloppine With Spinach and Linguine
If you can't find chicken cutlets, use 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and pound them to a 1/4-inch thickness. The thin pieces of chicken will cook in about 4 to 6 minutes. Because this chicken is topped with both spinach and pasta, you've got your whole meal ready in 45 minutes.
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 (16-oz.) package linguine
- 1 (9-oz.) package fresh spinach, thoroughly washed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 6 chicken cutlets (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; cut asparagus in half crosswise.
- 2. Prepare linguine according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain; return to pan. Stir in spinach; cover and keep warm over low heat.
- 3. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken cutlets; seal bag, and shake to lightly coat.
- 4. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter with 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 3 cutlets in skillet 2 to 3 minutes; turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and done. Remove from skillet. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 Tbsp. oil, and 3 cutlets. (Chicken may be kept warm in a 250° oven on a wire rack.)
- 5. Whisk 2 Tbsp. flour into skillet, and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in chicken broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Pour over warm pasta mixture; toss to combine. Transfer to a serving dish, and sprinkle with tomatoes. Serve immediately with chicken and Parmesan cheese.
- Worth the Splurge: Use Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Allow your guests to grate the cheese tableside right onto their plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This