I should've paid more attention to the reviews and the recipe itself before making it. Garlic would have been a great addition and although the chicken is a little bland it's fixable. Also I served it with a sherried mushroom topping so that really helped. Definitely add more seasoning to the chicken.
Chicken Scaloppine With Spinach and Linguine
If you can't find chicken cutlets, use 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast halves and pound them to a 1/4-inch thickness. The thin pieces of chicken will cook in about 4 to 6 minutes. Because this chicken is topped with both spinach and pasta, you've got your whole meal ready in 45 minutes.
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 1 (16-oz.) package linguine
- 1 (9-oz.) package fresh spinach, thoroughly washed
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 6 chicken cutlets (about 1 1/2 lb.)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup capers, rinsed and drained
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. Snap off and discard tough ends of asparagus; cut asparagus in half crosswise.
- 2. Prepare linguine according to package directions, adding asparagus during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain; return to pan. Stir in spinach; cover and keep warm over low heat.
- 3. Combine 3/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add chicken cutlets; seal bag, and shake to lightly coat.
- 4. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter with 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 3 cutlets in skillet 2 to 3 minutes; turn and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and done. Remove from skillet. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 Tbsp. butter, 1 Tbsp. oil, and 3 cutlets. (Chicken may be kept warm in a 250° oven on a wire rack.)
- 5. Whisk 2 Tbsp. flour into skillet, and cook 30 seconds. Whisk in chicken broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened, whisking to loosen particles from bottom of skillet. Pour over warm pasta mixture; toss to combine. Transfer to a serving dish, and sprinkle with tomatoes. Serve immediately with chicken and Parmesan cheese.
- Worth the Splurge: Use Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Allow your guests to grate the cheese tableside right onto their plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note