Chicken Sausage Salad With Lentils and Green Apple
Community Recipe from
- 4 cup(s) water
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup French lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus pinch
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- 4 low-fat chicken sausages
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems removed
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1. Bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, garlic and bay leaf to the boiling water and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt, cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; discard garlic and bay leaf.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss 2 tablespoons of the diced onion with 2 teaspoons each of the vinegar and oil. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and the carrot and celery to skillet. Saute the vegetables until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add vegetables to lentils; toss with 3 tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil and the mustard; season with remaining salt and the black pepper to taste.
- 4. In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice on the diagonal.
- 5. Add the watercress and apple to the dressed red onion; toss well. To serve, make a bed of lentils on each plate. Top with watercress-apple salad and sausage.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by CKP220 and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chicken Sausage Salad With Lentils and Green Apple Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Main Dishes