Solid weeknight meal. Easy to prepare. I halfed the recipe and it would still feed 8 in my opinion. I did not half the spices however after reading other reviewers. Definitely a good weeknight meal.
Chicken Sausage and Provolone Penne Bake
Change the flavors in this baked pasta recipe by choosing different versions of the chicken sausage.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 453
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 15.3g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Protein: 24.4g
- Carbohydrate: 55.3g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 954mg
- Calcium: 319mg
- 1 pound uncooked penne (tube-shaped pasta)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 (12-ounce) package sweet basil and pine nut chicken sausage (such as Gerhard's), halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp provolone cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper, sausage, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until sausage is browned. Add tomato paste and next 5 ingredients (through diced tomatoes); cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Combine pasta and tomato mixture; spoon into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes