- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 large green or red bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions, divided
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 8 cups homemade chicken stock or low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to Make It
Season chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned on all sides; remove from pot. Brown remaining chicken.
Add sausage and cooked chicken, and cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until browned; remove with slotted spoon. Add onion, bell pepper, 3/4 cup green onions, and 1/2 cup parsley; cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and rice; cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Add broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer 18 minutes or until rice is tender and all liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup green onions and 1/2 cup parsley. Garnish, if desired, and serve hot.