- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper
- 1 (6- to 6 1/2-pound) baking hen, cut up
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds smoked sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 quarts water
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups regular rice, uncooked
How to Make It
Combine salt and pepper; sprinkle evenly over chicken pieces, coating well.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Add chicken pieces, a few at a time. Brown on all sides; drain on paper towels. Set aside. Reserve oil in Dutch oven.
Add onion and garlic to Dutch oven; sauté until onion is tender. Remove onion and garlic; drain well, and set aside. Add sausage to Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat until browned. Drain on paper towels. Discard pan drippings.
Return chicken pieces, onion, garlic, sausage, and water to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. Add green onion, parsley, and rice; stir well. Cover and cook over low heat 45 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.