I've made this so many times, and it always comes out FANTASTIC. I substituted the smoked sausage for andouille sausage the last time I made it and it was just as good. Definitely recommend this recipe.
More From Southern Living
- 1/2 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken
- Hot cooked rice
- Cook sausage over high heat in Dutch oven 5 minutes, stirring often. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon. Drain on paper towels.
- Add enough oil to drippings in Dutch oven to equal 3 tablespoons, and whisk in flour; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes. Add onion and next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in broth and next 2 ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add sausage and chicken; simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Serve over rice.
- Note: For testing purposes only, we used Conecuh Original Smoked Sausage for smoked sausage.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes