- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 sweet onion, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cubed (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 10 dried figs, cut in half
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
How to Make It
Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, and sprinkle with cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sauté 10 to 12 minutes or until chicken is browned.
Add onion, and sauté 5 minutes; sprinkle with garam masala, and sauté 2 to 3 more minutes or until lightly golden.
Add chicken broth, rutabaga, and sweet potato. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook, covered, 10 minutes. Add figs, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper, and cook 10 more minutes or until vegetables are tender.