I didn't make the preserved lemons but I used lemon flavored bread cfrumbs from Progresso and then added about a quarter of a lemon (rind and all) to the blender. My family and my guests RAVED about the dish and there'd wasn't a bit left on the platter.
Chicken Roulade with Olives and Simple Preserved Lemons
You'll need to start two weeks in advance to make these preserved lemons, but purchased preserved lemons are a good substitute for these homemade ones. The tasty olives and olive oil boost the monounsaturated fats. Skinless chicken breasts keep the saturated fat low.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 371
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 9.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 43.2g
- Carbohydrate: 29.4g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 3.3mg
- Sodium: 825mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 6 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped Simple Preserved Lemons
- 12 pitted ripe olives, drained and divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1. Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup capers, 1 tablespoon Simple Preserved Lemons, 6 olives, and garlic in a food processor or blender, and pulse 10 times or until the mixture is coarsely chopped.
- 2. Place each breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or small heavy skillet. Divide breadcrumb mixture into 4 equal portions; spread 1 portion on each breast half, leaving a 1/4-inch border around outside edges. Roll up each breast half, jelly-roll fashion, starting with short side. Secure with wooden picks or twine.
- 3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Add onion to pan; sauté 2 minutes or until browned. Add wine; cook until reduced to 1/4 cup (about 1 minute), stirring often. Add remaining 2 tablespoons capers, 1 cup water, broth, juice, raisins, and turmeric. Quarter the remaining 6 olives. Add to pan; bring to a boil. Add chicken to pan; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, turning chicken after 10 minutes. Serve chicken with sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note