Chicken and Roasted Poblano Chili
- 2 poblano chiles
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) bottle apple juice, preferably unfiltered
- 2 (14-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, garbanzo beans, navy beans, great Northern beans, or hominy (or combination), rinsed and drained
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Garnishes: avocado slices, lime wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 500°.
- 2. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil; add poblano chiles, and coat with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Roast at 500° for 15 to 20 minutes or until peppers look blistered, turning several times. Remove and let cool enough to handle. Peel and remove seeds. Do not rinse. Chop peppers.
- 3. Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion. Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring often, 10 minutes or until onion is tender. Add garlic, and cook, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients. Add chopped poblanos. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Stir in apple juice, broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, and reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bay leaves, beans, and chicken, and cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- 4. Remove bay leaves, and stir in cilantro; season with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews