This chicken was amazingly good! I was surprised by how much flavor the bay leaves added. Subtle, but nice. Had/used dried bay leaves. Gravy was good, but I thought it overwhelmed the subtlety of the chicken.
Chicken Roasted in Bay Leaves
Photo: Jan Smith
Placing bay leaves in the chicken cavity infuses the bird with a subtle herbed aroma as it roasts.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces meat and about 1/4 cup gravy)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 704mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 bay leaves
- 4 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Place 8 bay leaves under loosened skin; place remaining 8 bay leaves in cavity.
- Tie ends of the legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place celery, carrot, and onion in a single layer in a roasting pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Using tongs or insulated rubber gloves, remove chicken from pan, tilting slightly to drain juices. Let stand for 15 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- To prepare gravy, place a zip-top plastic bag in a 2-cup glass measure. Pour brandy into bag; add drippings from pan. Let stand 2 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into measuring cup, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Return vegetables to pan. Add brandy mixture, broth, and cream to pan; cook 10 minutes over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove vegetables from pan using a slotted spoon; discard. Combine flour and water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended to form a slurry; add slurry and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thick.
- Remove skin from chicken, and discard. Discard bay leaves. Carve chicken, and serve with gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes