This chicken was amazingly good! I was surprised by how much flavor the bay leaves added. Subtle, but nice. Had/used dried bay leaves. Gravy was good, but I thought it overwhelmed the subtlety of the chicken.
Chicken Roasted in Bay Leaves
Photo: Jan Smith
Placing bay leaves in the chicken cavity infuses the bird with a subtle herbed aroma as it roasts.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 5 ounces meat and about 1/4 cup gravy)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 306
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 12.3g
- Saturated fat: 4.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 4.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 117mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 704mg
- Calcium: 33mg
- 1 (3 3/4-pound) whole roasting chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 16 bay leaves
- 4 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and crosswise
- 2 carrots, peeled and halved
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1/4 cup brandy
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare chicken, remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken; trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breasts and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat. Rub 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper under loosened skin and over breasts and drumsticks. Place 8 bay leaves under loosened skin; place remaining 8 bay leaves in cavity.
- Tie ends of the legs together with twine. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under chicken. Place celery, carrot, and onion in a single layer in a roasting pan. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables.
- Bake at 375° for 40 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450°, and bake an additional 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the meaty part of thigh registers 170°. Using tongs or insulated rubber gloves, remove chicken from pan, tilting slightly to drain juices. Let stand for 15 minutes. Remove vegetables from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve.
- To prepare gravy, place a zip-top plastic bag in a 2-cup glass measure. Pour brandy into bag; add drippings from pan. Let stand 2 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag; carefully snip off bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into measuring cup, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat.
- Return vegetables to pan. Add brandy mixture, broth, and cream to pan; cook 10 minutes over medium heat, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove vegetables from pan using a slotted spoon; discard. Combine flour and water in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk until well blended to form a slurry; add slurry and 1/4 teaspoon salt to pan, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 minute or until slightly thick.
- Remove skin from chicken, and discard. Discard bay leaves. Carve chicken, and serve with gravy.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note