- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast or chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion (about 1 large)
- 1 cup thinly sliced seeded Anaheim chile (1 large chile)
- 1/4 cup finely diced seeded bottled pickled hot cherry pepper (2 peppers)
- 1 (8-ounce) container cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 (28-ounce) can unsalted peeled whole plum tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked rigatoni
- 12 pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- calories 485
- fat 14.2 g
- satfat 6.1 g
- monofat 4.8 g
- polyfat 0.8 g
- protein 26.4 g
- carbohydrate 57.7 g
- fiber 5.3 g
- cholesterol 63 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 765 mg
- calcium 203 mg
How to Make It
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; seal bag. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into strips.
Heat a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pan. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add onion and next 4 ingredients (through garlic). Cook over medium heat 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
Add sherry to pan; cook until liquid evaporates, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. While sauce simmers, cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
Add roasted bell pepper, chicken, and, if desired, olives to tomato mixture. Bring to a simmer. Stir in cream; cook 2 minutes or just until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add pasta, tossing well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.