I read all of the horrible reviews for this, but I was determined to make it anyway. Instead of brown rice, I used Thai Jasmine rice and cooked it with chicken broth to add flavor. I think this helped tremendously. I would have used brown rice/chicken broth, but my husband doesn't like brown rice. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, and I think the thigh meat would have been better. I seasoned the chicken with some adobo and paprika, and it had decent flavor. I added extra seasonings to the rice itself, and it wasn't a bad dish overall, just boring. It was a satisfying, quick weeknight meal. I wouldn't say it was anything special. Also, since I used the white rice, the dish cooked faster.
Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
A small amount of dried porcini mushrooms goes a long way. Using the reconstituted mushrooms and their soaking liquid gives this one-dish meal a rich, earthy flavor.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 45 Minutes
- Calories: 398
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 30.8g
- Carbohydrate: 40.7g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 3.6mg
- Sodium: 620mg
- Calcium: 49mg
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown basmati rice
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1. Combine 2 cups boiling water and porcini mushrooms; let stand for 20 minutes. Drain through a sieve over a bowl, reserving soaking liquid. Finely chop mushrooms.
- 2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Sprinkle chicken evenly with paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken mixture to pan; sauté for 5 minutes or until chicken is browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan.
- 3. Return pan to medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion and cremini mushrooms; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in reserved porcini liquid, chopped porcini, and rice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 35 minutes. Stir in the reserved chicken, peas, and thyme. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until rice is tender and chicken is done.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note