I can see how kids would like this. It is VERY cheesy- I can't believe I'm saying this but almost TOO cheesy. Next time I think I will skip the processed cheese and use real cheese, maybe that will help with the richness? I forgot to add the cumin and it was still flavorful.
Chicken and Rice
This isn't your ordinary Chicken and Rice. Our version loads up with veggies and two types of cheese for a creamy, comfy casserole all will enjoy.
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size: about 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 357
- Fat: 12.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.9g
- Sodium: 733mg
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 11 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces cubed processed pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut chicken into strips. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; sauté 1 minute. Remove chicken. Add onion, red bell pepper strips, and yellow bell pepper strips to pan; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cumin; cook 1 minute. Add chicken broth, stirring until smooth. Cook 2 minutes. Add pepper Jack cheese; stir until smooth. Remove from heat; stir in chicken and cooked brown rice. Spoon mixture into an 11 x 7inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Sprinkle mixture with Monterey Jack cheese; bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles