- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 (1-lb.) eggplant, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small summer squash, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 6 (4-oz.) chicken breast cutlets
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- Garnish: fresh basil leaves
How to Make It
Sauté onion and eggplant in hot olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender and light brown around edges. Add squash, garlic, and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, basil, and 1/4 tsp. each kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 to 3 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
Remove vegetable mixture from skillet. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess.
Fry chicken, in 2 batches, in hot canola oil in skillet over medium-high heat 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and done. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels; cover and keep warm. Transfer to a serving dish, and top with vegetable mixture.